Friday 12 September 2014

Oscar Pistorius

I am sure like many other women, I am disappointed in the South African legal system, yesterday hearing Pistorius had been cleared of murder sent a shudder down my spine. In my opinion his guilty, but unfortunately I am not the judge. Many of you may ask how does a case like this link into literature, but it really does because literature is formed by context. A case as high profile as this one demands that Judge is  aware of the consequences of their decisions, because their decision will in effect send out a message to the public, and this message will become for some a mindset and a belief thus affecting some literature produced and the world as a whole. In my opinion the case represents 
patriarchy at its finest,a woman dies and he may never spend time in a jail cell, what does that promote really? In a country like South Africa where the sexual violence against women is at a all time high.This case presented a good platform where the judge could have demonstrated that women do have rights, and men will be punished for mistreating women. Hopefully leading to more women standing up for themselves. I mean don't get me wrong he could have shot a man or a dog and still got away with it, but in this case I think it was really important to make an example of Pistorius. This case although to some may seem mediocre, it must be noted in the world  post-colonial literature, it may be quite the opposite. As after all South Africa is ex-colonial land (some may rebuke this) and the literature produced by the writers from this country will be affected by such events This in turn will  affect readings of post-colonial literature. It leads me to ask do you think this will make post-colonial literature more anti-feminist, or was post-colonial literature never anti-feminist to begin with?

F. 12/09

No comments:

Post a Comment